Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Questioning my faith

I believed in God. I believed with all my heart. Attended church, loved my Jesus, and loved to worship Him.

I was at my midwife’s office. In a half an hour appointment I went from being absolutely ecstatic to hear we were having a girl, to being completely devastated from also hearing the worst news possible, that once again I would lose another child to Potter’s.

The first thing I did when I left the office was to make some phone calls. I first called my family, and then the Pastor of our church. I knew I needed to pray for a miracle. I knew I was going to need my God to get me through this. My Pastor prayed for us over the phone and then over the course of the next few months, prayed several times with the church body. I stood before the church and had several people lay hands upon my baby Grace, safely tucked within me. We prayed for a healing. For His miraculous and divine intervention on my daughter’s broken body and bleak diagnosis. A man spoke in tongue and another older lady interpreted it. I wrote it down word for word and recited those words I believed came from Him, over and over, daily.

I prayed constantly, for the next six months. Baby Grace was part of many prayer chains throughout the United States.

I read my Bible, I read and re-read versus over and over that I felt were speaking to me.

I believed with all my heart, all my soul and completely with all my being that she would be healed (If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you).

I believed as much as that. I did. I came to a point of having so much faith and belief that I had NO DOUBT that sweet Grace would survive.  In my 9th month, I was at the point of completely believing that she was healed and would live.

My midwife showed up at the house. She brought her oxygen tank to support Grace if it was necessary.  She entered the world, crying and breathing. Inga, my midwife said, she’s breathing, she’s supporting herself. My first thought was “of course she is”. She is because I prayed that she would survive this, and that she would be our miracle baby and I believed it with all my heart. I believed GOD’S promises.

I believed faithfully-  Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours” and “I tell you the truth, my Father will give you whatever you ask in my name

I stood on those promises… therefore I had no doubts. There is a picture that was taken seconds after Grace was born, my husband and I exchanged a look of pure joy when we knew or thought she was going to live. That “one second” was captured before our world collapsed again.

Grace did support herself but for just a little while. The lung capacity she had was not enough to sustain her. Even with the support of the oxygen, she was slowly leaving us.

This is where my faith started to unravel.

I had to say goodbye to another child. A beautiful baby girl wanted and loved by an entire family slipped away from us. 

I never blamed God. I was never angry at Him because she died. What angered me was that He asks us to trust and to believe, and I did. If He is really there and really listens then He knows I believed. But He instead let me endure another baby’s death.

Nobody has answers for me. Why do we pray? What’s the point? Why do we ask for things like He says we should… “Come to me little children”, but our prayers go unanswered.  Why did He promise us in His word, to believe, to pray and believe that we shall receive, if we don’t?

I didn’t want money. I didn’t want a huge house or a new car, never anything materialistic.  I simply wanted my baby to survive. To live a full and abundant life with her family. I didn’t and couldn't survive another child's death. But most especially, I didn’t want my 5 year old daughter to have to experience the death of her sister whom she wanted more than anything in the world.

Emma didn’t understand death. I was the one who had to tell her. To try and explain to her that her little sister that made her giggle everytime her movements were seen and felt through her mommy's tummy, at each hiccup, that the baby sister whom she loved so dearly and was waiting for wouldn’t breathe after birth. Her tears dropped me to my knees.  

When the funeral home came to take baby Grace away, Emma still didn’t understand that Grace was dead. She thought she was sleeping and laid next to her and said “Mommy take my picture, I’m sleeping with my sister”.  

We handed baby Grace to the “Men” and they carried her away from us.  My little Emma screamed and screamed and cried “Why are they taking my sister, mommy please don’t let them take my sister”.

Those are the moments through all of this that was the worst for me. It was devastating losing my baby girl. But watching my daughter Emma in so much pain was the worst.

Those words she screamed haunt me.

So, how could God allow His children to suffer, so. Yes, I understand things happen. Death happens. But, I went to my God, I begged Him to heal Grace and I had so much faith I believed He would.

I don’t have faith anymore. What am I supposed to believe in? I did once and where did it get me.

That’s where I am and it scares me because its against everything I believed in.

2 comments:

  1. Oh Valerie,

    I can relate to so much of what you've shared. But first I must thank you for sharing your beautiful family pictures with Grace. She is even more beautiful than her name and your photos capture so much of the pain that was experienced that day.

    I felt that our Wyatt would be healed. I had such strong faith in God and had so many people praying for him I honestly believed that he would be miraculously healed up until his last breath. The aftermath was devastating and anger consumed me for far too long. When we received Eli's Potter's diagnosis I had only returned to the church after a five to six year hiatus during which I was still so angry and disappointed with God I just couldn't do it. I spent so much time wondering why and why me and not them and then remembering all those times in church when I prayed so very hard while pregnant with Wyatt that I would start crying and just feel awful.

    My relationship with God was tenuous then and with Eli it would have been easy to just leave it again. Instead I sought out my priest and explained my situation (different church) and sought verification for my feelings. I believe that God did not choose for my children to die. I believe that for whatever reason Potter's Syndrome happens in my family and it is awful and destructive and that God, as my heavenly Father, feels much like my earthly one. That his heart is so heavy for the suffering I have endured and that he would save me if he could, but that he can't. My belief has changed from if I just ask God and pray and believe hard enough it will happen to one where God isn't able to do these things. Jesus conducted miracles when he was present with us but I just don't know that God does, I've seen too many wrongs and too many things that just don't make sense otherwise. Certainly I think we would deserve that miracle after each already losing one child. So, I changed my thinking and I changed my prayers. Instead of praying for healing I prayed for strength. I prayed for God's watchful heart and all of the strength which he could give me to get through Eli's pregnancy and birth because I knew he would not be saved. I prayed that he would take care of me and my sons. I chose instead to look at God as more of a parent who is so often helpless in the face of their children's pain but whose heart aches to take that pain away anyway. Just like any parent, he understands that anger sometimes accompanies pain and that I needed a break and when I was ready he was waiting for me with the same loving arms that I left so many years ago.

    Eli's death has affected me and my faith very differently from Wyatt's and blessedly has be more gentle on me.

    If you'd like to talk or I can be of any help, please let me know. I don't have any real answers, just some rudimentary coping skills and a broken family as well.

    Much love to you - Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valerie,
    Tears stream as I read your post. I understand how you feel and I too have struggled with a lot of things regarding my faith after losing my Alexander to Potters on July 28th 2010. The thought that God chose us to endure this type of suffering is sometimes just too much to comprehend, especially when our hearts are broken. Yet, I believe His grace is sufficient and in His time we will understand the purpose of our beautiful angels lives being cut short. I read a poem another Potter's mom posted once that I wanted to share. I hope it blesses you like it blessed me. I don't know the author and don't take credit.:
    WAIT
    Desperately, helplessly, longingly, I cried;
    Quietly, patiently, lovingly, God replied.
    I pled and I wept for a clue to my fate . . .
    And the Master so gently said, "Wait."

    "Wait? you say wait?" my indignant reply.
    "Lord, I need answers, I need to know why!
    Is your hand shortened? Or have you not heard?
    By faith I have asked, and I'm claiming your Word.

    "My future and all to which I relate
    Hangs in the balance, and you tell me to wait?
    I'm needing a 'yes', a go-ahead sign,
    Or even a 'no' to which I can resign.

    "You promised, dear Lord, that if we believe,
    We need but to ask, and we shall receive.
    And Lord I've been asking, and this is my cry:
    I'm weary of asking! I need a reply."

    Then quietly, softly, I learned of my fate,
    As my Master replied again, "Wait."
    So I slumped in my chair, defeated and taut,
    And grumbled to God, "So, I'm waiting for what?"

    He seemed then to kneel, and His eyes met with mine . . .
    and He tenderly said, "I could give you a sign.
    I could shake the heavens and darken the sun.
    I could raise the dead and cause mountains to run.

    "I could give all you seek and pleased you would be.
    You'd have what you want, but you wouldn't know Me.
    You'd not know the depth of my love for each saint.
    You'd not know the power that I give to the faint.

    "You'd not learn to see through clouds of despair;
    You'd not learn to trust just by knowing I'm there.
    You'd not know the joy of resting in Me
    When darkness and silence are all you can see.

    "You'd never experience the fullness of love
    When the peace of My spirit descends like a dove.
    You would know that I give, and I save, for a start,
    But you'd not know the depth of the beat of My heart.

    "The glow of my comfort late into the night,
    The faith that I give when you walk without sight.
    The depth that's beyond getting just what you ask
    From an infinite God who makes what you have last.

    "You'd never know, should your pain quickly flee,
    What it means that My grace is sufficient for thee.
    Yes, your dearest dreams overnight would come true,
    But, oh, the loss, if you missed what I'm doing in you.


    "So, be silent, my child, and in time you will see
    That the greatest of gifts is to truly know me.
    And though oft My answers seem terribly late,
    My most precious answer of all is still . . . Wait

    I'll be praying for you!

    Love,
    Angelle
    lovingalexander.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete