Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Healthy kidneys!

After we lost our daughter Grace, we were advised by our genetic counselor to have our children's kidneys scanned. When we lost our son 13 years ago, they said it was a fluke. But because we had a second Potter baby, the genetics counselors suggested that possibly Andy or I have kidney problems. I didn't feel it was necessary at that time... my children were healthy, never had uti's or bladder problems etc.

Just recently, I'm able to read other Potter mom's stories. Some mentioned that they received the same info we did and were advised to scan the family. There is a mom who mentioned that she had a cyst in her kidney and another who had 4 kidneys but two did not function. They linked these abnormalities to having a Potter baby.

I admit, this scared me. Not only the possibility of my kids having kidney issues but also having a Potter baby themselves. It was extremely difficult for me to get through, but would have been worst to see my children suffer the same pain. I called the pediatrician and asked him about it... after doing his own research he said it was a 1/10 chance that they could have kidney malformations.

My son and daughter had ultrasounds on their kidneys this morning... Praise God, they are both very healthy! My other son had an abdominal mri last year, so we pulled his chart and found that he too had healthy kidneys.

Yay! Kids are good and healthy. I feel very, very relieved and blessed!

It was hard to be in that room with the ultrasound machine. I couldn't help but cry remembering the moments I layed there.

No comments:

Post a Comment